Friday, January 25, 2013

Making Purse Straps w/ Hope Yoder


This is my favorite way to make a purse strap. Visit my website at www.HopeYoder.com for more products and ideas.  Sign up for our email newsletter so you never miss Hope's helpful hints.

Cut fabric 4 1/2" wide x desired length
Cut 2 pieces of fusible fleece 1" wide x desired length

  • Press fleece to wrong side of each side of the strap. 

  • Fold in half wrong sides together so the raw edges meet in the middle.  

  • Fold in half again so folded edges are even, and sew down each side using an edge joining foot and a left needle position


  • Cut into two equal halves and set aside for construction. 
Please feel free to leave a comment, post to your Pinterest page.  I know, you want to know where the purse pattern is to buy, right?  Well, good news...My original purse pattern will be featured in a summer (2013) issue of Designs in Machine Embroidery Magazine which will include all the free directions for making the purse. You will still need to purchase our Nautical Button~Ups Embroidery Collection which can be found here

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great instructions on making purse straps.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purse is really cute!!!!
    BTW, I think I might have heard something bout you going to be at the sewing/quilting expo in OH in March:)R U gonna be teaching any classes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I will be teaching in Ohio this year at the Original Sewing & Quilt Expo. I am teaching 3 hands on classes and vending. Hope to have you in one (or more) of my classes. I haven't been to Ohio in years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the padding in the straps. Thanks for sharing this idea and I know I'll use it when I make my next bag. Avis

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Technique......gonna use it a bunch.....Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made three of Hopes "Hipster" purses using her favorite method of making straps. It is the best method for easy and smooth top stitching. That fusible fleece on the outside edges just makes it slightly padded and easy for equalizing the turning of the straps into fourths. I have been to two of her events and have learned and been richly inspired by her teaching and knowledge of the Cut & Scan, Floriani software and the Brother10 needle and most of all her heirloom sewing techniques. Thanks Valley Center for hosting this awesome event. Thank you Hope. I bought your Digi Design It Software and its the perfect companion to the Floriani software. Way to go! Janette Van Doren

    ReplyDelete

Comments