Saturday, September 15, 2012

Silhouette Cameo Vinyl Baby Wipes Case


Well I bought a new die cutting machine; Silhouette Cameo and I'm having so much fun. Not cooking dinner anytime soon, just cutting anything that is not nailed down. Love the Silhouette Studio software that came with the machine and upgraded to Designer Edition so I could use my old svg files from my Cricut days (sold the Cricut in a heartbeat after using my Silhouette.) 

Saw this post for making baby wipes where you had to cut the pattern out using their free template after cutting a large rectangle of vinyl with Silhouette. I thought to myself, "Why would I want to use scissors when my Silhouette can do it all?"


Step 1
  • Download the PDF template from this link. Save it to your hard drive and open the file up in Silhouette Studio Designer Edition. 
  • Select the "Trace" icon and select the PDF image. Select "Trace Outer Edge". Select PDF image and delete.


  • "Ungroup" the image and use the "Edit Point" icon to smooth out the curves and lines. This is what takes the most time, but is worth it.
  • After you think you have it looking good, cut your new pattern out using card stock. This is a great time to use ugly paper:) 
  • Lay the pattern over your Huggies travel case and continue to tweak and edit the points/cutting cardstock/ editing points/cutting cardstock...Until you have a great pattern piece. It took me about 6 cardstock patterns until I got it nice and smooth. Don't forget to save using a new file name each time you make changes, just in case the previous attempt is better than your last.
  • Save the back and two fronts as three separate individual files.

Step 2

  • In the Silhouette Online store, purchase design "Flower Multi Square"

  • Bring in the back template onto a new page. Then open "Flower Multi Square" file and select all/center. If necessary enlarge the "Flower Multi Square" design so it covers the entire template.
  • Select the "Flower Multi Square" designs and right click and then select "Make Compound Path".
  • On the right side of the screen, select the Modify icon then select "Crop". This should take away all the excess that is outside of the template back shape. Select all and then right click and select "Group".
  • Add the back outline template shape and select all. Select the "Align" icon and select "Center". This combines a cut line around the outer edge which is necessary when weeding away the extra vinyl. Save the file to your library. 
  • Repeat the same steps to create a right front and a left front and save each file individually.
  • Bring all three files onto a new page and "Group". Save this as a new file. Your final file should look like this. 

  • Practice on one of your least favorite vinyl colors so you can see if any changes need to be made.
  • When you are happy with the outcome, cut another design using your favorite color of vinyl and apply to the new unwrapped Huggies travel wet wipe case. 
  • I found the cases at CVS stores.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the great tutorial! I've been wanting to do this with my Cameo, but didn't know where to begin. I am going to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get the PDF file to open up in the Silhouette design program? I tried it and it says that type of file is not compatible. I called customer service & they said that a PDF is definitely not compatible. Maybe they have changed things? I did just upgrade to the design edition -maybe I can figure out how to convert the PDF to an SVG. Any ideas on how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest idea ever. I will try and make one for myself. I love baby wipes. This is such a creative post. I would love it if you would share this post at our WIW linky party. Hope you can join us. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments